Thursday, January 26, 2012

How can I keep June Bugs from eating the leaves off my Japanese Plum tree?

According to Malcolm Beck (co-author of The Texas Bug Book),an effective way to control moths and adult June beetles is with a 60-watt lightbulb.Hang the light over a bucket a little below the rim,and fill the bucket one-third full of soapy water. Put it out about the end of March and keep it on each night. Place it high enough so a child or pet can't get to it. You will catch hundreds of moths and June bugs each night. Empty at least every other day or the insects will begin to decay and stink.When it starts attracting and trapping beneficials such as green lacewings and praying mantids, discontinue use of the light trap until next March.Incidentally, adult June bugs are known to do some minor leaf chewing.There are other methods to stop June bugs at the larval stage, while they're still in the soil. Some of these are beneficial nematodes,compost, and sugar or molasses added to the soil.

How can I keep June Bugs from eating the leaves off my Japanese Plum tree?
Umm, June bugs are not the culprits. Are they Greenish/irridiscent? That is Japanese beetle %26amp; you need to call a local nursery for advice.
Reply:Hi there,

The previous answer was correct in thet you are dealing with Japanese beetles..We all wish they would just go on back to Japan, or wherever. They are a real nuisance insect that I saw just today, for the first time this season, on my rose bushes. I live in East TN. I flicked them off with a finger, cursed at them, then went in my shed to grab my sprayer. Some folks swear by Sevin dust or spray, but I generally use Orthene by Ortho. The active ingredient is acephate, and it is systemic, meaning the plant takes in the product through the leaves, and it it distributed throughout the plant. This means continuous protection for about 2-3 weeks. For heavy infestation, reapply every 7-10 days.

They do horrible damage if let go. There are also traps you can purchase at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I reckon they work well, but I have never tried them.


  • eyeshadow pencil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment