Monday, January 30, 2012

Can I plant plum / fig trees if they have been bare rooted (exposed to elements) for 4 weeks? (Winter time)?

I am in Australia and it is winter time.



I have a plum and a fig tree that I bought commerically. They came with plastic bags around the roots. I opened the bags after I bought them intending to plant the trees immediately. However, that never happened and I ended up leaving them sitting like that in my backyard.



Will they survive or has it been too much for them? I realise they are dormant at this time of year (winter).



Thanks,

redcattledogblue

Can I plant plum / fig trees if they have been bare rooted (exposed to elements) for 4 weeks? (Winter time)?
Are you kidding............................ A whole month, bare rooted, just laying, freezing their nuts off; How do they look? OK, I'll stop making fun! Take a knife blade, or something semi sharp, your finger nail, or even the edge of a coin and scrape the tree trunk about 2-inches. What does the inside of the slash look like? Is it green, and at all moist looking? Was it hard to scrape and dry inside? Any moisture at all? Tap that trunk with your implement, does it sound hard like Tap, tap,tap like hard wood, or soft, your call! go up, to the branches and give them a little scrape and resonating test, I think you will find they are hard and stick like, if so pitch it , it's history......Ahe good luck to u mate, Urlaroo to you too!
Reply:You can--but they have a high chance of dying if the roots got too dried out. Plant them anyway, give them lots of water and keep your fingers crossed.

inline skates

No comments:

Post a Comment